Squeaky Clean Energy Group (“Squeaky”) is committed to being an organisation which has a positive impact on the environment.
As an accredited B Corp organisation, Squeaky meets the highest standards for social and environmental performance. We were recognised as being ‘Best For The World’ in 2022, meaning we are in the top 5% of similar sized B Corps globally for our governance.
Squeaky is committed to integrating responsible and sustainable business practices into everything we do. It is our policy to act responsibly and ethically in our day-to-day relationships with our customers, suppliers, employees, and communities. We encourage our suppliers and contractors to adopt responsible business policies and practices and will not work with what we consider to be ‘unsuitable counterparties’.
We do not knowingly produce information which contains statements, suggestions or images which are offensive to the public and we consider the impact of our work on minority segments of the population, whether that minority be by gender, transgender status, sexual orientation, marital or civil partnership status, colour, race, nationality, ethnic or national origins, religion or belief, age or disability.
Corporate Social Responsibility (“CSR”) involves managing our business processes to produce an overall positive impact on society.
Squeaky defines CSR as follows:
- Conducting business in a socially responsible and ethical manner;
- Protecting the environment and the safety of people;
- Supporting human rights; and
- Engaging, learning from, respecting, and supporting communities and cultures with which we work.
Purpose And Scope
The purpose of this policy is to ensure that all matters of CSR are considered and supported in the way we operate our business.
This policy applies to activities undertaken by or on behalf of Squeaky and covers employees, contractors, consultants, agency workers or any self-employed individuals working for Squeaky, referred to collectively as (“staff”).
All staff (including the senior management team) are expected to adopt this policy and incorporate its principles into their day-to-day work and decision making. The senior management team will also ensure that appropriate organisational structures are in place to effectively identify, monitor and manage CSR issues and performance within the business.
Squeaky recognises that we must integrate our company values into our business operations to meet the expectation of our staff, customers, regulators, investors, suppliers, the community, and the environment (together “stakeholders”).
- We recognise that our social, economic, and environmental responsibilities to these stakeholders are integral to our business. We aim to demonstrate these responsibilities through our actions and within our corporate policies.
- We take all feedback that we receive from stakeholders seriously, and, where possible, maintain an open dialogue to ensure that we fulfil the requirements outlined in this policy.
- We are open and honest in communicating our strategies, targets, performance, and governance to our stakeholders in our continual commitment to sustainable development.
- The senior management team are responsible for the implementation of this policy and will make the necessary resources available to realise our corporate responsibilities. All staff take responsibility for delivering CSR within the organisation.
Squeaky is committed to:
- Continuing to be at the forefront of the world’s transition to clean energy through innovative solutions;
- Enabling corporate businesses and public sector organisations to power their businesses with 100% clean energy in a cost-effective way;
- Being socially aware and engaged in the community;
- Working only with other businesses (as customers, partners, or suppliers) who adhere to equally high standards;
- Providing the best possible experience for our customers;
- Being a market leading employer, who supports and nurtures employees at all levels to be the best that they can be.
Business Ethics And Transparency
Squeaky is committed to maintaining the highest standards of integrity and corporate governance practices in order to maintain excellence in our daily operations, and to promote confidence in our governance systems.
- Conduct all business in an open, honest and ethical manner;
- Recognise the importance of protecting all our human, financial, physical, social, environmental, and reputational assets;
- Advise our partners, contractors, and suppliers of our CSR policy, and work with them to achieve compliance with this policy;
- Measure, audit and report performance on our CSR programmes; and
- Produce an annual impact report.
WHO WE WORK WITH
At Squeaky we take CSR very seriously so there are some businesses we will not work with. We even make provision for this in our contracts so that we can terminate our relationship if the counterparty becomes unsuitable.
In addition, Squeaky will not supply any organisations that work in the following sectors:
- Production of coal or coal-based energy
- Production of antipersonnel landmines
- Production of cluster munitions
- Production of nuclear weapons
- Production of tobacco
- Animal testing facilities
Squeaky is committed to working with suppliers who:
- Have appropriate anti-slavery and human trafficking policies and processes in place in line with the Modern Slavery Act 2015 (see our
Modern Slavery Statement
). We communicate to all suppliers that we have zero tolerance with regard to modern slavery and human trafficking;
- Operate in line with the Bribery Act 2010;
- Have clear CSR and/or ESG policies in place and, where possible, robust reporting; and
- Prioritise sustainability and environmental best practice throughout their supply chains.
We seek to always maintain a good working relationship with our suppliers. As such we are committed to clear communication with suppliers, and to paying them in a timely manner.
Environment Health And Safety
Squeaky is committed to protecting the health and safety of all individuals affected by our activities, including our staff and the public.
- Provide a safe and healthy working environment and will not compromise the health and safety of any individual. Our goal is to have no accidents and mitigate impacts on the environment by working with our stakeholders, peers and others to promote responsible environmental practices and continuous improvement; and
- Recognise that pollution prevention, biodiversity and resource conservation are key to a sustainable environment and will integrate these concepts into our business decision-making.
All staff are responsible and accountable for:
- Contributing to a safe working environment;
- Fostering safe working attitudes; and
- Operating in an environmentally responsible manner.
Squeaky will engage stakeholders clearly, honestly, and respectfully.
We are committed to timely and meaningful dialogue with all stakeholders, including (but not limited to) shareholders, customers, staff, the government, and Ofgem.
Looking After Employees
Squeaky is committed to being an excellent employer.
- Are committed to ensuring that all staff are treated fairly and with dignity and consideration for their goals and aspirations and that diversity, equality and inclusion in the workplace are embraced;
- Apply fair labour practices. Squeaky is an accredited Living Wage Employer;
- Fully support the aims of the Modern Slavery Act 2015 and have safeguards in place to ensure due diligence in our recruitment processes;
- Will not tolerate any fraud, corruption, or abuse of human rights, as outlined in our Anti-Bribery & Corruption Policy;
- Ensure all staff receive thorough induction and a comprehensive scheme of ongoing professional development training, regular meetings with managers, and annual appraisals;
- Provide a range of employee benefits including healthcare plans, above minimum contributory pension scheme, regular teambuilding activities and social events.
- As an equal opportunities’ employer, we are committed to providing equal opportunity in all aspects of employment and will not engage in or tolerate unlawful workplace conduct.
Squeaky recognises that governments have the primary responsibility to promote and protect human rights.
- Work with governments and agencies to support and respect human rights within our capacity of influence;
- Will not tolerate human rights abuses, and will not engage or be complicit in any activity that solicits or encourages human rights abuse; and
- Always strive to build trust, deliver mutual advantage and demonstrate respect for human dignity and rights in all relationships it enters into, including respect for cultures, customs and values of individuals and groups.
Community Investment And Engagement
Squeaky strives to provide employment and economic opportunities in the communities where it operates.
The nature of our business contributes to the establishment of clean energy generation for new to earth assets and the future prosperity and sustainability of local and national communities.
Squeaky also supports national and local charities and good causes, particularly those with environmental and social aims which align to our own.
We support employees taking paid leave for volunteering opportunities.
Sustainability, Environment And Carbon Footprint
As a company with a mission to accelerate the world’s transition to clean energy, being a sustainable and environmentally friendly organisation is very important to us.
As a business with a remote workforce, we do not require staff to commute unnecessarily and do not maintain a full-time office building.
Our full environmental policy provides a much greater level of detail regarding our actions in this area.
As a summary, we:
- Strive to operate our business in a manner that is environmentally friendly; particularly by conserving energy, minimising waste and choosing sustainable transport;
- Ensure all employees and contractors are fully aware of our environmental policy;
- Comply with all relevant environmental legislation, regulations, and approved codes of practice;
- Consider sustainability as a priority in all procurement and management decisions;
- Work towards net zero by reducing our carbon footprint, and move towards full measuring and reporting of scope 1, 2 and 3 emissions; and
- Regularly communicate our environmental performance to staff, customers, and other stakeholders.
Review And Revocation
The areas covered by our CSR policy are discussed bi-annually. The policy will be updated with any necessary changes to ensure that its provisions are in line with our legal obligations, aims and company practices.
This CSR policy will be reviewed and re-approved by the Board on an annual basis. Any material changes will be communicated to relevant stakeholders.
Last updated: September 2022